Patch: Offline transfer mode

Steve Traugott stevegt at TerraLuna.Org
Mon Mar 21 05:26:43 GMT 2005

Just a quick followup...

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 08:46:20PM -0800, Steve Traugott wrote:
> It took me longer than I hoped, but still only several hours to work
> this out -- it turned out to be easy enough.  Batch mode did most of
> what I wanted; I just needed to keep --write-batch from also sending the
> changed blocks over the net.  It was harder than it could have been;
> because the entire protocol goes through write_fd(), I couldn't just
> shut off all traffic there, but instead had to redirect unwanted traffic
> to /dev/null higher up, in send_files().  A more graceful way, I think,
> might have been to create a global (say, net_quench) which is set from
> send_files() and read from write_fd(), to toggle traffic on and off
> depending on context.  I also had to handle deleted files correctly, but
> that was just a simple addition to do_unlink() and server_options().

I should also handle chown, chmod, links etc. the same way I did unlink,
so they are all transferred in the batch file only, rather than over the
wire.  (I'm wondering if just putting the server in dry_run mode during
compare will work instead.)

Steve
--
Stephen G. Traugott  (KG6HDQ)
UNIX/Linux Infrastructure Architect, TerraLuna LLC