may be save on other directory

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Mar 18 17:10:23 GMT 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:44:53AM +0100, Alejandro Feij?o wrote:
> I have a Full backup on directory ./FULL, and carpets for ./monday ... I
> need to compare the sources with ./FULL and the diferents files save on
> ../monday .. but not in ./FULL

Sounds like you want --compare-dest=../FULL:

  rsync -av --compare-dest=../FULL host:/src/ monday

That gives you all the changed files between FULL and the current data
on the source system and no other files.  If you want hard-links to all
the unchanged files to be put into "monday", use --link-dest=../FULL
instead.  If you want only changed files that don't appear in prior day
dirs, you'll need to use 2.6.4 because it allows you to use multiple
--link-dest or --compare-dest options, allowing you to only copy files
that haven't been received yet (however, I recommend using --link-dest
with multiple dirs, since it preserves the information on what version
of the file was identical on that given day).