Premature optimization in f_name_cmp()?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Mar 14 22:55:49 GMT 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 10:15:18PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > And the --fuzzy option was my main reason to try out the newer rsync.
>
> One other caveat -- the CVS version of rsync has a protocol change in it
> that makes it incompatible with 2.6.4 pre1/pre2 for certain options:
> --fuzzy, --compare-dest, --link-dest, --copy-dest, --hard-link, the
> combination of "--inplace --backup", or (only if a partial-file is found
> by the generator) --partial-dir and --delayed-updates.  I recommend just
> updating all your pre1 or pre2 versions of 2.6.4 to the CVS version at
> the same time (if you have any).

I'm doing that (so to not invalidate my test). It is still
--delay-updates, or did the option change name (again) ?

> Another note:  if you want --fuzzy to help you with compressed files
> that have differing contents, you should use the --rsyncable option to
> gzip to compress the files.

I understood that. RPM 4.4.1-something now creates rsyncable compressed
files. I hope Red Hat will finally also ship a zlib that can do rsyncable
files (and someone fixes the python zlib bindings as well!) and maybe
retrofit the RPM to older releases. (hope)