Rsync to upload certain files and ignore others

jediknight2 jediknight2 at ec.rr.com
Fri Mar 11 01:20:49 GMT 2005

I have tried this
rsync -rav -e ssh --include='*.gpg' --exclude='*' \Backup\%count%\
testuser at xx.xx.xxx.xx:\%count%\

and I have also tried to use an include-from file with this
- *
+ *.gpg

but neither will build a file list to upload...if I use an -*.gpg it will
skip those files but that is opposite of what I want to do..I want to ignore
ALL files except *.gpg files...this is on WinBlows, but the syntax should be
the same for the most part....any suggestions...

Re: Rsync to upload certain files and ignore others

Wayne Davison
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:04:20 -0800

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:40:20AM -0800, jediknight2 wrote:
> Is there a way for RSYNC when its backing up a folder say c:\output to
> ignore certain file extentions as a whole...so basically ignore all other
> files EXCEPT *.gpg files?

You can exclude all files except *.gpg files from the transfer (using
--include='*.gpg' --exclude='*'), but there is no way to limit what
files get backed up -- all updated files are backed up when --backup is
specified.