Why does "rsync -av" always claim (incorrectly?) that it is updating write protected directories?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Mar 9 03:30:16 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 04:41:02PM -0800, Matthew Bostrom wrote:
> $ chmod -w dir0
> $ rsync -av dir0/ dir1/
> $ rsync -av dir0/ dir1/
> ./

Oh.  I was assuming that your system was one of those that rejected
utime calls on directories because I hadn't noticed this bogus behavior
before.  Thanks for pointing it out (and sorry for not running a test
before my last reply).  I'll look into fixing this for 2.6.4.  Perhaps
something similar to your suggested patch, but just a little more
efficient.