Rsyncing really large files

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Mar 5 17:23:02 GMT 2005

[I accidentally sent this reply only to Lars instead of the list.]

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:44:48PM +0100, Lars Karlslund wrote:
> I read somewhere about the default blocksize of 700 bytes. Now I'm
> told the blocksize is calculated automatically. Which is it?

700 is the minimum block-size.  The block-size has always been dynamic,
but it was not a very good value for really large files in 2.5.7 and
prior because it maxxed out at 16K blocks.  Beginning in 2.6.0, the
block-size started being picked according to a square-root-of-size
heuristic that allowed for much larger block-sizes.