connection unexpectedly closed error

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 14:53:08 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

Previously I was using RSYNC 2.5.7 on RedHat 8.0 to
mirror CPAN (http://www.cpan.org/) and LDP
(http://www.tldp.org/) and everything was working
fine.

After upgrading to Fedora Core 2 and using RSYNC 2.6.x
, I kept on getting the following errors:

# rsync -av --stats --delete --force
ftp.funet.fi::CPAN

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9382362 bytes
received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code
12) at io.c(391)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9382362 bytes
received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code
12) at io.c(391)

# rsync -av --stats --delete --force
metalab.unc.edu::ldp_mirror

rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code 30) at
io.c(153)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (837077 bytes
received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code
12) at io.c(391)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (837077 bytes
received so far) [generator]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code
12) at io.c(391)

I have tried RSYNC 2.6.4pre1 & 2.6.4pre2 but to no
avail.

Does anyone know what could have caused this problem
and how to solve it?

TIA!