rsync sending all files

Hui Nee Chin hchin at vitaliainc.com
Wed Mar 2 21:37:18 GMT 2005

Hello there,

   I am a relatively new user of Unix, and I came across this mailing
list from http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/. I'm in a situation where I
needed to use rsync to sync files from my machine to a remote server. As
I understand it, rsync only copies files the differences, which means
logically, if I were to run the exact same rsync commands one after
another, I should see that no files are transferred the 2nd time,
correct? However, when I run rsync on my machine, ALL files are copied
over to the remote machine no matter how many times I run rsync
consecutively. I've been reading up on rsync on the net and I couldn't
seem to find any explanations to this, except the bit about the -u
option, which I was able to use to make rsync work as I wanted it
to--only copy the files that were changed and leave the others alone.
But as I read on, it seems to me that rsync is supposed to do that
anyway even without the -u option, right? This is driving me nuts, so if
anyone can clue me in on this, that would be great.

Thank you people!

regards,
Hui Nee