--one-file-system problem

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Wed Mar 2 07:58:55 GMT 2005

rsync commandline:

/usr/bin/rsync -e /usr/bin/ssh --archive --compress --sparse
--verbose --stats --delete --numeric-ids --partial --relative
--one-file-system  target.host:/ /destination/path/

target rsync version: 2.6.3
destination rsync version: 2.6.2

The server we're trying to synchronize contains directories within "/"
that are mounted to other locations within "/". When the sync occurs, the
mounted directories get copied, despite the fact that we use the
--one-file-system argument. Is this a bug, or have I misunderstood the use
of the --one-file-system argument?

I can wrap my mind around the fact that the mounted directory is actually
a part of the filesystem that it is mounted to, and thus can't be divorced
from the concept of one file system. If that's truly the case, is it worth
my time to come up with a --really-one-file-system patch?

-Chuck

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR