Symlinks

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jun 30 19:42:54 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 10:53:00AM +0400, apache7 at gmx.net wrote:
> Now, I've just added a firewire disk to both servers and created a
> symlink to the mounted disk within the source and destination trees:

Rsync copies symlinks as symlinks unless the --copy-links option is
given, in which case all symlinks are replaced by the referent object.
However, if the symlink points outside of a module's path, it cannot be
copied (because that would be a security problem).  If you want to copy
the contents of the fwdisk directory, I'd suggest either making a new
daemon module for that path and copying it separately, or using "bind"
mounts instead of symlinks (if possible on your OS) to mount the same
dir into multiple places (on both the source and destination).