include/exclude - how to transfer /etc and /home/users from /?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 28 06:17:28 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:57:47PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I just spent another hour reading the manual and trying to figure it
> out, but I can't make it.

Did you also read the email I pointed you at?  Using the --files-from
option that it recommended would have been the easiest solution to your
problem.  The email also demonstrated the nested includes that are
needed to make sure that the recursive descent through the directory
hierarchy even makes it down to the directories you're interested in.
Namely that you need to include /home/ and /home/samba/ to even get to
/home/samba/profiles, and then you need to be sure to exclude everything
else you don't want.  I'd recommend trying --files-from first -- it's
much easier.