2.6.3, 2.6.4 incompatibilities

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jun 27 17:11:55 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 01:02:42PM -0400, Nathan Bullock wrote:
> Invalid file index: 268456790 (count=0) [receiver]

This is the pertinent error from that sequence -- this means that the
data being sent over the socket has either been corrupted, or out-of-
sync somehow.  The first thing to check is to see if the file
compression is causing the problem by turning off the -z option.  If
that fixes things, upgrading to 2.6.5 (or 2.6.4, but 2.6.5 is better)
on the sending machine will fix it.

If that doesn't work, you look in the the support dir of rsync for the C
source named savetransfer.c, you can use it to diagnose the problem:

You can build it using "make" in the support dir and then put a copy
on both machines e.g. in the /tmp dir.

Since you are pushing files, the comments in savetransfer.c explain that
this invocation will capture the data being sent to the receiver:

rsync -av --rsh="/tmp/savetransfer -i /tmp/from.sender ssh" \
   --rsync-path="/tmp/savetransfer -i /tmp/to.receiver rsync" FILES HOST:DEST

(Tweak that with your own options.)  Also read the comments about the
limits of the savetransfer program in its default implementation.

If the transfer fails (with the same error -- not a timeout) and the two
files differ, your connection is not sending the data correctly; if the
files are the same, let me know and I can help you diagnose the problem.