include/exclude - how to transfer /etc and /home/users from /?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at mch.one.pl
Mon Jun 27 14:05:47 GMT 2005

I'm trying to copy recursively only /etc, /home/samba/profiles and
/home/samba/shared.

To do so, I use this rsync command:

rsync --progress -v -u -a -z --stats \
--include="/etc" \
--include="/home/samba/profiles" \
--include="/home/samba/shared" \
--exclude="/*" \
--numeric-ids --delete-after -e ssh backup at CON:/ \
/home/samba/linuxbackup/latest/CON/

Unfortunately, it copies only /etc, it doesn't touch /home/samba/...
directories I specified.

What am I doing wrong?

I spent an hour looking through include/exclude problems on this list,
but I still can't figure out how can I transfer these three folders.

Note that I don't want to use a include/exclude file, as these all
values are sitting in a script, and creating an additional file wouldn't
be very handy.

Anyone?

--
Tomek