rsync perl/binding (python) and libraries

Olivier Thauvin olivier.thauvin at aerov.jussieu.fr
Thu Jun 23 11:54:35 GMT 2005

Hi,

First I am new on the list, and I think this topic has been allready in past.

I am looking rsync with the idea to create perl-Binding for rsync. I saw in
the TODO list python binding has been plan in past too.

The current rsync code make this hard as rsync does not provide library
itself. Of course there is allready librsync for a lib, File::RsyncP as perl
binding, but this last one is a bit ugly, and does not support all options.
But It is really annoying to have duplication of the code.

So well, I found many solution way to done perl-Binding:

- rewrite all the code with copy/past
I don't like, waste of time, security fix to sync, ect...

- create perl binding using rsync directly
still copy/past of code to isolate some functions, need rsync source to build
it

- creating a lib over rsync code
I back to first issue explain before.

And of course it is possible to rewrite rsync and creating a small executable
using its own library. But need some major code rewrite.

Of course I am not the rsync maintener, neither developer. I'd like to have
your point of view:
Do you plan to create a lib ?
Are you interested by this kind of things ?
Are you interested by perl-binding ?
Do you prefer a separate project or integrating this in your cvs to make code
synchronisation faster ?

etc...

Notice creating perl binding can help to make python binding (code sharing and
co).

Thanks by advance.