proposed new parameter: --time-limit 5:30

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Wed Jun 15 17:54:07 GMT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, ches wrote:

> I find that rsync is an excellent tool for backing up my large
> partitions, often over slower links on the Internet.  I run a cron job
> every night to update backup mirrors.
>
> But occasionally I make large changes to the source disk, and the rsync
> update takes more thanb 24 ours to complete.  Then I can have two or
> more rsyncs working over the same source and destination directories.
>
> What I really want is to tell rsync to desist the mirroring after a
> certain amount of time.  It's ok with me if it takes a few nights to
> bring the mirrors back into alignment.

That may be out of scope for rsync, but that's just me. I solved that
problem by obtaining an flock() on a file in /var/lock. If a process
starts up and can't attain the lock, it quietly dies (or does whatever I
want it to do).

Some people have tried goofy stuff like creating a lockfile and then
checking for its existance. Aside from race conditions, if your process
dies prematurely, it never gets deleted.

I managed to write a perl library to manage my flock'ing. I can post it if
anyone is interested.

..Chuck..

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR