proposed new parameter: --time-limit 5:30

ches ches at cheswick.com
Wed Jun 15 14:42:43 GMT 2005

I find that rsync is an excellent tool for backing up my large partitions, often
over slower links on the Internet.  I run a cron job every night to update backup
mirrors.

But occasionally I make large changes to the source disk, and the rsync update
takes more thanb 24 ours to complete.  Then I can have two or more rsyncs working
over the same source and destination directories.

What I really want is to tell rsync to desist the mirroring after a certain amount
of time.  It's ok with me if it takes a few nights to bring the mirrors back
into alignment.

I can and have done this easily with a shell script that kills the rsync after
a given amount of time.  But this seems like an easy and useful feature to
add to the program itself.

Bill Cheswick
ches at cheswick.com