handling duplicate names deterministically and adding alternative checksum algorithms

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 14 02:56:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:24:45PM -0600, Andrew Shewmaker wrote:
> Our current practices would benefit if rsync were enhanced to handle
> duplicate names deterministically as described in the todo list.

One proposed solution to this was to use a functioned called
mergesort().  A patch was provided that includes a compatibility
function for systems that don't include mergesort():

    http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-August/010398.html

> we would also be interested in the ability to optionally use a
> stronger checksum algorithm.

I just put a diff into the patches dir that implements the --md5 option
(extracted and cleaned up from a larger patch set that was sent to me by
Wolfgang Neuman):

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/patches/md5.diff

As you'd expect, this tells rsync to use MD5 checksums instead of MD4.