restoring incremental backups

Erik Romijn erik at toltech.nl
Sun Jun 12 11:39:46 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm using rsync to make incremental backups, which appears to work fine.
I use a script quite similar to the first one on
http://rsync.samba.org/examples.html (incremental 7 day to remote host).
However, I can't seem to find a nice way to restore a backup other than
the current backup.

Assuming the following situation:
current - made today, contains up-to-date versions of all files
saturday - made yesterday, contains the old versions of every file
	   that was deleted/changed in current with the last backup run
friday - made 2 days ago, contains the old versions of every file that
	 that was deleted/changed compared to yesterday's current

A bit complicated, but my problem is this: I want to restore the system
as it was on friday.
One way to do it is to restore current, overwrite it with saturday (and
delete all files that are in current but not in saturday) and then
overwrite it with friday (and delete ...).
However, this seems quite ugly to me. Isn't there a way to tell rsync:
restore the situation from friday, incrementals made after that are
saturday, current tree is current? I have been unable to find any
information about that.
Or would I have to build a wrapper myself?

greets,
Erik Romijn