Feature request: rsync of device content

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Sun Jun 12 02:00:48 GMT 2005

On 6/11/05, Martin Scharrer wrote:

> It would be nice if rsync would also be able to synchronise the content of a device, i.e.
> handle the device like a regular file. Of course only if this is requested
> with a special command line option.

The idea of a block-device-rsync comes up from time to time.  April
was the last time I saw it pop up and I gave a summary of what others
had said:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2005-April/012196.html

The consensus seems to be that this would be a great idea for a
librsync-based standalone tool rather than rsync itself.  However, I
have still seen no signs that anyone (including myself) has had the
time to build such a tool.

  -- Steve