rsync 2.6.5 segfault using --fuzzy & --link-dest

Erik Jan Tromp betageek at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 11 18:05:48 GMT 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:03:07 -0700
Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 05:14:57AM -0400, Erik Jan Tromp wrote:
> > if I remove every possible option except --fuzzy & --link-dest,
> > segfault every time.
>
> I haven't seen that in my testing.  One easy thing to do is to make sure
> that core dumping is enabled and look at a backtrace:
>
> ulimit -c unlimited
> /path/to/non-stripped/rsync ...
> gdb /path/to/non-stripped/rsync /path/to/core
> bt

Concise directions.. perfect.

> The backtract (bt) command will tell us where the program is crashing,
> and should help me to find the bug.  Note that a non-stripped rsync can
> be found in the build dir, and that the core file will probably be in
> the destination directory of your pull transfer.

Source tree was wiped after I packaged, so did a quick rebuild & tossed the non-stripped bin in ~/bin/. No dev tools on oxygen (backup server), so into ~/bin/ for gdb as well.

Following is a complete dump.

-- 8< --

[root at oxygen ~]# ulimit -c unlimited
[root at oxygen ~]# ~/bin/rsync --archive --delete-during --fuzzy --hard-links --nu
meric-ids --quiet --sparse --temp-dir /backup/helium/ --link-dest /backup/hydrog
en/saturday/ --password-file /backup/helium/.password rsync://backup@helium/back
up/ /backup/helium/saturday/
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[root at oxygen ~]# ~/bin/gdb ~/bin/rsync /backup/helium/saturday/core
GNU gdb 6.3
This GDB was configured as "i486-slackware-linux"...Using host libthread_db libr
ary "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

Core was generated by `/root/bin/rsync --archive --delete-during --fuzzy --hard-
links --numeric-ids --'.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libpopt.so.0...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/lib/libpopt.so.0
Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libresolv.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Reading symbols from /lib/libnss_files.so.2...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libnss_files.so.2
#0  0x08060566 in flist_find ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08060566 in flist_find ()
#1  0x0804c6cd in recv_generator ()
#2  0x0804db9a in generate_files ()
#3  0x08056390 in do_recv ()
#4  0x08056942 in client_run ()
#5  0x0806ab2b in start_socket_client ()
#6  0x08056e9f in start_client ()
#7  0x080573fd in main ()
(gdb) quit

-- 8< --

Erik

--
"I really want a license to do just two things: make the code available
to others, and make sure that improvements stay that way. That's really