source side

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Sat Jun 11 08:06:22 GMT 2005

In your original "timestamps" thread back on May 25:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg13496.html

you said the source is a "windows share from a NetApp filer" that
is mounted on a RHEL3 box via:

  mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pwd //server/share /backup/sync

Your timestamp example below seems to indicate a loss of the daylight
savings time flag, producing times that are an hour earlier.  I think
that this is some kind of timestamp _reporting_ problem rather than a
timestamp _changing_ problem, and is related to the kernel routine
that translates smbfs data to unix fs data.  Rsync's heavy disk usage
have exposed software shortcomings in the past and this may be yet
another example.

Have you looked at the timestamps via the windows system to see if they
have actually changed when this "problem" happens?

Do they change every time you run rsync and go back another hour each
time?  Or do you unmount the windows share and remount it and the
timestamps are restored to their "normal" unchanged values?

    John