rsync 2.6.5 segfault using --fuzzy & --link-dest

Erik Jan Tromp betageek at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 10 09:14:57 GMT 2005

I've been reworking my backup script & decided to give some of the newer options a try. It would appear I've found a combination that doesn't play nice.

$ rsync --archive --delete-during --fuzzy --hard-links --numeric-ids
 --quiet --sparse --temp-dir /backup/helium/
 --link-dest /backup/hydrogen/tuesday/
 --password-file /backup/helium/.password
 rsync://backup@helium/backup/ /backup/helium/tuesday/
Segmentation fault

If I remove either of the --fuzzy or --link-dest options from the above command, no more segfault. Conversely, if I remove every possible option except --fuzzy & --link-dest, segfault every time.

You'll undoubtedly want more info to dig in further. Being that I'm unfamiliar with gdb & strace, example usage would be helpful.

Erik

--
"I really want a license to do just two things: make the code available
to others, and make sure that improvements stay that way. That's really