BUG REPORT: latest rsync misinvokes ssh with user@host ...

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Jun 8 23:52:53 GMT 2005

On 08Jun2005 08:38, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
| On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:14:05PM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
| > in short, rsync is seeing the "root at ali" and invoking:
| > 	ssh ali -l root rsync-daemon-invocation...
|
| This should only happen if remsh is present on your system when
| configure was run.  This is because remsh requires that arg order (and
| ssh accepts either arg order).

Ouch. My current system doesn't have remsh; I'm moderately sure our other
systems don't either. Can I explicitly tell configure to not detect
(or act on detection of) remsh?

| The code in 2.6.4 accidentally made all
| remote-shell invokations use the remsh arg order, but 2.6.5 fixed that
| bug.  Did you upgrade from 2.6.4 without re-running configure?  (If you
| used the config.h file from a 2.6.4 build, you'd not see the fix.)  Or
| does your system now have a remsh binary installed in the path?

I think I misreported the version; 2.6.4 was doing the "host -l user"
thing, not 2.6.5. So I was seeing a change from 2.6.3 to 2.6.4, not
from 2.6.4 to 2.6.5.

I'll probably build and deploy 2.6.5 today anyway because I've got a file
transfer that hangs and need to see if it happens with 2.6.5 at both ends
(one system has an oldish Solaris ssh on it too; should I suspect it in
my hang problem)?

BTW, I always build from a fresh tree; I never reuse
configs.  I do log previous builds and consult them for weird setups;
however I have found rsync well behaved and the only setting I tell
configure is the prefix.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The road less traveled is FASTER !!