Behavior of --checksum, suggestion

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Jun 8 00:07:30 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:44:25PM -0400, Moshe Jacobson wrote:
> I just did a test and found that --partial will prevent rsync from
> transferring the entire file again when the mtimes vary but the sizes
> are the same.

No, --partial tells rsync to keep a partially transferred file.  Rsync
will always do an efficient update up a file unless --whole-file is
specified (or implied by a local transfer).  This means that the
generator sends some per-block checksum data to the sender, and the
sender sends some block-matching commands to the receiver, and the
receiver copies the file locally with no actual file data going over the
wire (when the files were actually identical in contents, but not in
mtime).