please help -- Variable syntax error

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Jun 4 17:38:09 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:58:43PM -0400, Bhadri N Govindarajan wrote:
> I just changed the machine names.  When i execute the script i get
> Variable syntax

Judging from the command you used, I assume that this error is coming
from the remote shell, and probably indicates an error in that host's
startup files for the shell.  Are you sure that you have rsync
configured to use ssh?  (Use "-e ssh" or set RSYNC_RSH to force it, or
look at the -vv output to see what it's running.)  I'd suggest running
the remote shell command directly to see if it gives the error.  Also,
try a command such as "ssh mydestmachine which rsync" (or whatever
command that machine uses to show you what program is being run) -- this
will ensure that you're not running an rsync script on the destination
machine.