RSync with File Compression

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Jun 2 02:51:39 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 01:20:45PM -0700, Kevin Day wrote:
> There is a build of GZip (under Debian I think) that has an rsync
> friendly option.

This is useful if the files are compressed at the source.  If you want
only the destination side to be compressed, you'll need something beyond
a stock rsync.  One option that I'm aware of is the BackupPC program
which is referenced on the "resources" page of rsync's website.

> I have posted a patch for zlib to this newsgroup with code that makes
> zlib rsync friendly (along with some extra optimizations over the GZip
> implementation).

The patch is in the "patches" dir of the rsync distribution under the
name gzip-rsyncable-checksum.diff.