multiple daemons on the same port

Hari Krishna Dara haridara at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 01:28:03 GMT 2005

I thought if a daemon is already running on the default port, I
thought the additional ones started on the same port will result in an
exit with error, but somehow it seems to work just fine. If I kill the
first process, the second process seems to take control of the port.
As far as I know you can't have two processes binding to the same
port, so does that mean the second process is just polling for the
port to be available? This seems very counter-intuitive. Can anyone
explain?

Thanks,
Hari