Reply -> : Rsync 2.6.6 released

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 29 19:05:00 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:24:13AM +0530, Lakshminarayanan Radhakrishnan wrote:
> Can u please highlight the important fixes added upto  2.6.6 ?

There have been several security fixes for those using rsync as a
daemon.  The memory use has decreased dramatically compared with the
2.5.x series, and some options such as --hard-link are *much* more
efficient.  Some new options I particularly like: --delete-during
(--del), --itemize-changes (-i), the --filter functionality, and
--partial-dir (I use have the RSYNC_PARTIAL_DIR environment variable set
for improved safety when using -P).  Large files are handled much more
efficiently, exclude patterns are less buggy, batch files actually work
right, etc.  etc.  Lots of other really useful features and bug-fixes
too numerous to mention here.

> In samba site, anywhere mentioned about what patches given for each
> release ?

There's a link on the main page to the NEWS and OLDNEWS files:

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/NEWS
    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/OLDNEWS

They mention LOTS of changes, though, so you may want to skim mainly
the SECURITY FIXES, ENHANCEMENTS, and BUG FIXES sections.