creating directories not specified in '--files-from' file

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 29 02:05:29 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:19:26PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> If I specify a directory to be backed up all files in it are copied
> automatically.

That only happens if the dir has a trailing slash (which is telling
rsync "I want the contents of this directory"), rather than just the
directory's name (which is telling rsync "I want to create that dir").
In fact, you could omit all directory items when using --files-from for
a backup (unless you happen to want to backup an empty directory).

So, in your list.txt file, you should not be specifying "/" unless you
want all the contents of the base dir to be copied.  Just remove that
line and your copy should be fine.