hanging problem on cygwin

Hari Krishna Dara haridara at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:59:44 GMT 2005

On 7/27/05, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 12:04:22PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> > Now to avoid adding another manual step to my setup process (such as
> > manually configuring inetd.conf and rsyncd.conf), I was looking at the
> > options to start rsync via remote shell
>
> The reason the daemon mode avoids hanging is that it is providing a
> socket service that rsync can connect to.  Trying to get rsync to talk
> the daemon protocol via a remote shell will take you back to a failure
> mode since rsync will be sending its data via a pipe again (and you
> still need an rsyncd.conf file on the remote system to start up a
> daemon).  What you can do is to use normal remote-shell commands to
> setup and take-down a remote rsync daemon:
>
>     rsync -a rsync.conf host:/somedir    # or use scp
>     ssh host rsync --daemon --config=/somedir/rsync.conf
>     rsync -av /src/ host::module   # do the actual transfer
>     ssh host killall rsync  # or perhaps do something safer

I was under the impression that "--daemon --rsh" functionality is
meant to simplify the above, ie., rsync will take care of starting up
the daemon over remote shell, and will in turn connect to it (and
preferably even shut it down when done, though the document didn't say
anything). If all that it is supposed to do is startup rsync server
over a pipe, then how is it different from the remote shell access?
When I explicitly specify the remote path as rsync://, is not supposed
to connect to the default rsync port directly? Why would it use a
pipe?

Starting up rsync daemon separately using ssh is ok, though it would
be nice to to have a way to shutdown the daemon from an rsync client.
I might just take this route, however, could someone tell me why the
"--daemon --rsh" method in my case behaved just like "--daemon"?

Thank you,
Hari