filter problem

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 22 19:14:28 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 06:43:41PM +0200, Mario D_ring wrote:
> For that I used the filter -f 'P /dir/*'
> but it seems that it only works for /dir/* and not /dir/bla/*

If you started the transfer in "/", protecting /dir/* will prevent any
recursion in that part of the hierarchy.  If you have multiple sources,
that protection will not match if the source is down somewhere inside
the /dir/ hierarchy.  You could specify something like this:

    -f 'P/ /dir/**'

That uses the "/" option to protect to tell rsync that you're specifying
an absolute path instead of one that is relative to the source dir.
Then, the "**" matches anything no matter how deep (as opposed to "*",
which does not match a slash).