Feature request for rsync for running scripts

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 19 23:27:56 GMT 2005

> I've just upgraded it to add more environment variables (such as module
> name, module path, host name, host IP, user name, exit status).  I also
> changed where the post-rsync exec happens so that both the pre- and
> post-xfer are both now run by the user that runs the daemon (not the
> module's user) and without any chroot constraints (the old patch was
> simpler, and it made the post-xfer command run in a more restricted
> setting than the pre-xfer command).  You can see the latest patch here:
>
>     http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/rsync/patches/pre-post-exec.diff

Thank you very much!  That sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.  Is
it possible that this patch might be added to the mainstream release anytime
soon?

> The current patch doesn't include any info on transfer direction nor any
> transfer stats (which might not be easy to do).

I just threw those in there as suggestions.  I doubt I'll need them.

I did just notice another missing thing (or I've overlooked the option for
doing it).  Is there a way to force creation of any necessary path
components of a "stem" directory of an rsync?

rsync -av /var/base/testing/ testserver::pushdir/beta5/testing/

This command fails with a "no such file or directory" error if the beta5
directory doesn't exist.  I would have expected that with the -a option,
it would replicate whatever dirs necessary to do the sync.  Or am I missing
something?

Thanks!