Feature request for rsync for running scripts

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 19 21:33:09 GMT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Andrew Burgess wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:10:18 -0700, Evan Harris <eharris at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I was wondering if others might find it useful to have a parameter in the
> > rsync daemon config that would allow running a command on the server at
> > session start or at successful rsync completion.
>
> Couldn't you just do this on the client side?
>
> rsync...
> ssh commands to run after rsync...

That requires:

1. Running ssh and enabling it for client traffic.
2. Having a user account for each "client" and giving it shell access.
3. Giving each client account access to a suid script and/or permission to
do the updates itself.

Basically, it undoes practially all of the advantages of running an rsync
daemon in the first place instead of just using rsync over ssh, as well as
potentially creating some big security issues.  But the biggest one is that
I don't want to give mirror operators/clients shell access.

Evan