RSync and SSH problems

Roska, Mike mroska at activisionvalue.com
Mon Jul 18 15:42:04 GMT 2005

Hey all,

First off, I'm new to cygwin, rsync, and actually even ssh. I've used
ssh clients many times, but server side I'm a bit of a noob. Anyway,
here's my problem...

I set up a brand spankin new Windows XP box with only two apps
installed: copSSH and rsync. I need to tie down all security as tight as
possible. From what I've seen/read, it seems to me the only port I need
open on this server is 22 (for SSH). But for the sake of testing I've
also opened 873.

I can connect directly to my rsync server (bypassing ssh) via the
following command:

rsync *.* user at host.com::module

Works like a charm. However, when I try what I believe to be the correct
SSH syntax:

rsync -av --rsh="ssh -l sshuser" *.* user at host.com::module

I get the following error:

user at host.com's password: (enter it correctly)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(584)

I've also tried just SSH'ing into the server and it works great. I can
run rsync as well so I'm not encountering any path issues. Lastly, I've
checked the rsync server log file and don't notice any entries when I
try and execute the ssh-esque command above.

Am I missing some sort of syntax? Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,

Mike