change in backup behavior from 2.5 to 2.6

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jul 15 18:44:34 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:15:41PM -0600, Larry Bernstone wrote:
> In rsync 2.5, using the --backup and --backup-dir switches without a
> --suffix would copy backed up files to the backup dir with no extension.

This is true in all versions of rsync (that I know of), including all
2.6.x versions.

>  In 2.6, you must use a blank suffix ("suffix=") in order to get the
> same behavior.

I've never seen that happen.  Are you using a modified rsync from
someone who has broken this?  I do know that if you manually specify
--suffix= to a 2.5.x rsync that it would fail to pass the option in a
way that would survive the remote-shell invocation (and this has been
fixed in the 2.6.x series), but you don't need to specify --suffix=''
when you're using --backup-dir.