rsync can't delete?

Harrison J.Kelly hjkelly at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:31:40 GMT 2005

I'm trying to get a shell script running where I can sync two computers by both
merging, and by syncing one to the other, deleting all the files that one
doesn't have. The first part works fine, but I can't get anything related to
deleting to work. I have a server set up on my desktop running as root. I've
tried with each computer as the destination, but it can't delete the file either
way. Here's the general command I've been using:

rsync --update --archive --verbose --progress --stats --delete SRC DEST

I've experimented around all that I can, and haven't had any luck at all. Any
help would be appreciated.