syncing from the "file-list" option

Monty Ree chulmin2 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 13 07:54:46 GMT 2005

Hello, all.

I'm a begineer for rsync and please help me.

I would like to sync data between two ftp sevrer.
If one change/add/delete data usingf ftp, other ftp server should sync from
the main ftp servert.
In my thought, full data directory syncing is too slow, so if the client
uses " --files-from" option, sync speed more fast than full data directory
syncing.

file list is like below.

# tail -f /var/log/xferlog | awk '{print $9}'

/home/abc/images/card_pay_contents.gif

So I executed like below at client.
/tmp/test contains the file list like above.

# rsync -avr --delete --recursive --files-from=/tmp/test
remote_server::root  /

works well...
But if the files are deleted at the remote_server, client doesn't delete
the file like below and print error.
I would like to like this.
If the file is creates or modified at the main server, client must creates
or modify.
If the file is deleted  at the main server, client must delete.

receiving file list ... rsync: link_stat
"/home/abc/images/card_pay_contents.gif"  failed: No such file or directory
(2)
done
client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the
--recursive option?
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(723)

How to do solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.