destination directory problems

Tony at ServaCorp.com Tony at ServaCorp.com
Sun Jul 10 23:21:45 GMT 2005

I think what you are doing runs rsync on the remote server as user robert
which has the home directory of /home/robert/

Second case is trying to logon to rsync itself and fails.
contents of /etc/rsyncpasswd  are what?
(or if it is world readable rsync doesn't like it)

/etc/rsyncpasswd	needs to be rw by root ONLY
robert:password

rsync -avz /cygdrive/d/asm
robert at 192.168.1.102::backup/

should then put asm into /backup/asm

Depending on who on the Debian system should have access to or be able to
write
to the backups, you might want uid = and gid = lines in /etc/rsyncd.conf

-----Original Message-----
From: rsync-bounces+tony=servacorp.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:rsync-bounces+tony=servacorp.com at lists.samba.org]On Behalf Of
Robert Wideman
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 5:32 PM
To: rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: destination directory problems

I am having a problem getting my files backed up to
the location I want
to from a WinXP client going to a Debian rsync server.
The following is sending asm/ to /home/robert/backup
folder.
rsync -avz /cygdrive/d/asm
robert at 192.168.1.102:backup/

My understanding of the rsync man page is that this is
supposed to send
asm/ to what the path that is defined in rsyncd.conf,
mine is defined
as /backup.

I have tried it another way with failed attempts and I
get the following error:
rsync -avz /cygdrive/d/asm 192.168.1.102::backup/
Password:
@ERROR: auth failed on module backup
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes
received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code
12) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.3/io.c(359)

How do I make the asm/ folder go to 192.168.1.102's
/backup and
not /home/robert/backup?

Here is my configurataion:
rsyncd.conf: