Other possible solutions to: rsync memory usage, paid feature request

Matthew S. Hallacy poptix at poptix.net
Thu Jul 7 18:03:47 GMT 2005

[...]

> 1) Free: break your rsync's into several executions rather than one huge
> one.  Do several sub-directory trees, each separately.  If your data
> files are not organized in such a way that they can easily be divided
> into a reasonable number of sub-directory trees, consider re-organizing
> them so that they can be: it will pay off in many other sys-admin
> benefits as well.

It's customer data, so we have no control over how it's organized. All
we can depend on is the data being in /home, which is what we rsync.

> 2) Cheap: buy more swap space.  These days random-access magnetic
> storage is running close to 0.50 USD per gig (e.g. here:
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10360313 is 200GB for $105 in
> the US, including shipping).  At the stated rate of 100 bytes per file,
> this is enough storage to add 2 billion files to each rsync that you
> run, for a price that is less than many programmers want for a week of
> coding.  If you have much more than 2 billion files in each sub-
> directory tree, you are probably doing something very wrong. :-)

The servers already have 2-4GB of ram, with another gig of swap. Yes,
these servers have a LOT of small files.

> 3) Free: If your problem is not that you are running *out* of memory but
> rather that rsync is (temporarily) 'stealing' the core (solid-state)
> memory from the other 'more important' (i.e. requiring quicker response
> time) processes (causing their data to get swapped out, which might
> reduce response-time when that data later needs to get swapped back in),
> you might also consider using the operating system to either lock-down
> the memory used by your important server programs so that it cannot be
[snip]

Yes, the problem is that memory is being stolen from the processes that
the servers exist for to begin with. Your solution isn't really viable
though =)

> 4) Expensive: buy more solid-state memory.  Possibly still cheaper than
> paying for coding, but at any rate, in my experience, more core is
> rarely the best solution for lack-of-core problems.

I agree, which is why we're willing to pay someone with rsync coding fu
to fix it =)

--
Matthew S. Hallacy