setuid/setgid bits

Gordon Lack gml4410 at ggr.co.uk
Wed Jul 6 13:42:56 GMT 2005

version: rsync v2.6.1 (+ a minor, unrelated patch).

   I'm rsyncing files (not as root) and am happy (indeed, for what I
want, delighted) that the files at the target side end up owned by the
account doing the rsync.

   However, I've found that if I have a setuid/setgid file on the source
side, the target file ends up setuid/setgid too (but under a different
id!).  This happens whether or not I specify the "-p" option.

   Am I missing something?

   What I would like to be able to do is to get the target files to have
the source permissions *except* any setuid/setgid setting.  Is this
possible?