Again, the error in rsync prototocol

Alexander Lamb Alexander.J.Lamb at sim.hcuge.ch
Mon Jul 4 17:59:43 GMT 2005

I will file this at Apple.
Here is a more detailed log:

($:~)-> sudo rsync -Eavvb --delete --backup-dir="/Volumes/DATA 1/
rsync_bck" /Volumes/DATA/ "/Volumes/DATA 1"
Password:
backup_dir is /Volumes/DATA 1/rsync_bck/
building file list ...
[sender] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 262144 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 524288 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 1048576 bytes, did move
done
[receiver] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 262144 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 524288 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 1048576 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 262144 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 524288 bytes, did move
[receiver] expand file_list to 1048576 bytes, did move
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /
SourceCache/rsync/rsync-20/rsync/io.c(359)

The receiver is the same as the sender since I am doing a local backup.
The only "bizarre" thing I might have done is the following:

On MacOSX, you can choose between UFS, HFS+, HFS+ Journaled, HFS+
Journaled with case sensitive.

Well, for maybe some Unix nostalgia, I have my volume as HFS+
Journaled WITH case sensitiveness and my destination drive is only HFS
+ Journaled :-)

I will try to change this because even FileVault on MacOSX doesn't
like this!

Alex

--
Alexander Lamb