Rsync Error Code 23?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 28 00:31:31 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:47:31PM -0500, Tristan Fiedler wrote:
> I have an error code 23 (shown below) which I can't debug:

Mixed into the verbose output should be one or more warnings about
either a file-access or a file-writing problem that prevented a file
from being updated.  Typically the warning is something like an access
permission not allowing the reading of a source file or directory,
however it might also be a read error when reading the file, which could
indicate a disk problem -- but that is usually not the case.  Finding
the error in the verbose output should tell you what's going on.

You should be able to to re-run rsync to see it again.  Note that if the
transfer is going to or from a daemon (which your command-line example
did not show, but I'll mention this just to be complete) that some
versions of rsync only put these warnings into the daemon logfile.