rsync clobbering links?

Mark Fenbers Mark.Fenbers at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 27 22:41:28 GMT 2005

When using rsync -avv to recursively copy a local directory on a
remote server, and if the remote server has a symbolic link of the
same name pointing to some other directory, then that remote symlink
is clobbered in favor of the hard-wired path.  I looked at the man
page and other rsync documentation about copying links, but not of the
options seemed to apply in my case.  The closest was --copy-unsafe-
links, but it seemed to imply that this only referred to links on the
local server, not the remote one.  What option do I specify so that
rsync obeys/follows remote links and does not clobber them?

Mark