"connection unexpectedly closed" error

David L. Harfst harfst at cms-stl.com
Wed Jan 26 18:34:02 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but I can't find it.

We just set up a new server with Fedora Core 2 and I'm trying to set up
an rsync to it.  I've had this working to a Debian machine, so I'm
almost sure my config is rsync config is good.

I'm running rsync 2.6.2-1 in daemon mode on the server with the
following config file:

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
hosts allow = 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0
secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

[validation]
          path = /var/net/validation
          uid = root
          gid = root
          read only = no
          list = false
          auth users = sync

  From the client, also Fedora Core 2, also running 2.6.2-1 I'm doing the
following:

rsync -avH --delete-excluded --delete \
        --password-file=/etc/rsyncval.pwd \
        FOCUS sync at 192.168.13.252::validation

The output is as follows:

   building file list ... done
   rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (69 bytes read so far)
   rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(342)

I don't think it is a failed authorization because it would tell me that
in the log file on the server.  It seems to be getting the connection,
building a list of files to transfer, but then dies when it actually
starts to do anything.

I'd appreciate any help debugging this - I've been looking at it for
several hours now.

Thanks
--
David L. Harfst                     Computerized Medical Systems
Senior Systems Engineer             St. Louis, Missouri