Using rsync to generate diff/patches

Dave Whitinger dave at standardout.com
Wed Jan 26 18:16:05 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 12:18 PM, Chris Shoemaker wrote:

> It's doable, but not trivial.  It involves a more "complete" dry-run
> implementation.  It's probably a nice project for someone getting into
> hacking on rsync.  If I had more time for rsync hacking, this is
> probably the functionality I'd most like to add.

It seems like you could copy much of the functionality of the
"dry-run", but I haven't looked in the code much.

It does seem like adding a new "-d --dont-save", and then simply
add the cases for it in syscall.c.  Anyway, that's a project for
someone more experienced with the code and time to spare.

I'm doing a workaround now, that creates a temp directory,
applies the changes to that directory (while writing out the
batch file elsewhere) and then removing the temp dir.  Lots of
wasted cycles, but it indeed giving me the functionality I'm
looking for.

Thanks fellows!  Great tool, by the way.  It's one of my favorites.

best,
dave