Help for a newbie.

Andrea Riciputi ariciputi at pito.com
Tue Jan 25 22:22:57 GMT 2005

Hi all,
I'm new to rsync and I'm trying to do a backup of my home directory,
but I've a problem here. I'm not able to select the directory that I
want to backup and exclude those I don't want to. I've googled a lot
and I've also searched the rsync mailing list archive but without
success, so I hope you can help me. Please forgive me if this is a
trivial question.

Here it is a sketch of my home directory:

$HOME ---|
          |--- foo/
          |--- Library/|
                       |--- bar/
                       |--- ...

so there are a lot of dir in my home some of them should be backuped
some not. This is not a problem, I can get it using --exclude. The
problem is the Library/ dir, because it contains a lot of directory
that I don't want to backup and only one (bar) that I want to backup
with all its sub-tree.

I've tried something like:

rsync -a --include "~/Library/bar/" --exclude "Library/" source target

but it doesn't work. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
  Andrea.