Sync both sides with deleting from one side and creating files on both sides

gentoo at boxhorn-edv.com gentoo at boxhorn-edv.com
Tue Jan 25 17:14:35 GMT 2005

Hi folks,

i´m not sure if it is even possible, bu just want to ask:

I have to servers connected over vpn.

On both sides there is a working directory "Office" where the users are working on but deletion should only be possible on side A.

The idea is, that on A and B people can work and save over their 100 Mbit Network quite fast, and in the backround the data get synchronized over the slow line.
This is all working quite great, but we also want that on side A somebody deletes something, it gets deleted on side B as well. This is working perfect as well. But when side B creates something, it gets deleted on side B, instead of beeing synchrinized.

So I have the config:

1 Step: Synchronize everything from A to B and delete everything on B which has been deleted on A.

2. Push all stuff from B to A which has been created on B, and A doesn´t know about.

But the Problem is, rsync deletes on step 1 as well all documents, which have been created on side B, because it doesn´t make the difference between:

a) it has existed on both sides, and afterwards been deleted on side A, so delete it on side B as well

and

b) It has never existed on side A, so I would like to have it kept, and at the push, pushed to side A as well

Any hints?

(Sorry for my english, I´m bavarian)