Transferring large amount of files w/ Rsync - Initial transfer

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jan 24 08:06:27 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 12:44:28PM +0200, israel Gold wrote:
> I would like to synchronize 1TB of data between local and remote sites
> over WAN.  For the initial synchronization, I would like to transfer
> the files from the local site to the remote site using tapes, and use
> Rsync only for the incremental synchronization.

There's no problem with that.  Rsync doesn't care if the files are
copied over by it or by any other copy method -- it makes no difference
at all.  For maximal efficiency, make sure to preserve the modify time
for the files so that rsync will more quickly figure out which files are
identical between the two systems.