PRNG is not seeded

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jan 24 02:50:26 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:35:13AM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Sometimes in my logs I see, at random, the warning "PRNG is not seeded",
> which some folks encounter when they improperly configure ssh or
> /dev/urandom.

"PRNG" is the Pseudo Random Number Generator, and you are right that it
is unlikely to be rsync (I can't think of anything in rsync that uses
random numbers).  I'd suggest googling for your quoted phrase -- there
seems to be a good bit of discussion about it and ways to add entropy to
your random number generator so that ssh will stop complaining.