Potential new option: --delete-during

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Jan 21 02:28:43 GMT 2005

There is a new patch named "delete-during.diff" in the CVS "patches"
dir.  This patch adds the ability for rsync to incrementally delete
files in each directory during the normal course of the transfer rather
than doing a separate delete scan either before or after the transfer.
The patch renames the current --delete option into --delete-before and
makes --delete behave in the delete-during style.  I'm debating whether
we actually need a --delete-during option -- I'm currently leaning
towards leaving it out, so it's not documented as existing at the
moment.  I've done some simple testing (including both with and without
the --relative option) and it seems to work fine so far.

Comments?  How do people feel about making the --delete-during behavior
the default --delete algorithm?  I think it will be much more efficient
(and less prone to timeouts), so having it as the default is the best
choice.

The patch applies to (and comes with) the CVS version, and is present in
the latest "nightly" tar file (available from the web site).